Crohn’s Disease is an inflammatory bowel disease with ranging severity. The exact cause of the disease is unknown. This condition may affect any part of the digestive tract. Common symptoms are fatigue, prolonged diarrhea, abdominal pain, weight loss, fever, bloody stools, and mouth sores. Symptoms may be present for many years prior to the diagnosis of the disease. No cure exists currently; however, treatment can greatly reduce symptoms and even result in prolonged disease remission.
- Mild to moderate Crohn’s Disease may be able to be treated with oral medications. In many patients, oral medications are not enough to control their symptoms, have undesirable side effects, and/or have a delay to response to therapy. For these patients, and others with moderate to severe Crohn’s Disease, treatment with biologic medications may be warranted to control their symptoms and achieve remission. The biologic medications work by reducing the inflammatory immune response that causes the symptoms of Crohn’s Disease.
- Biologic Medications:
• Humira (adalimumab) - Humira Website
o Medication Guide PDF
• Cimzia (certolizumab pegol) - Cimzia Website
• Remicade (infliximab) - Remicade Website
• Simponi (golimumab) - Simponi Website
- Helpful Links:
Chrohn's and Colitis Foundation of America
We know how difficult this journey may be. You don't have to go alone. Contact a Realo pharmacist today.